One of the largest events, WordCamp Asia 2024 is taking place on March 7-9 in Taipei, Taiwan. Last year, the WordCamp Asia team collaborated with WordCamp Central to offer a scholarship. This year, the team is tapping into the overall sponsorship fund to continue the diversity scholarship.
WordCamp Asia started years ago with a belief that we can gather the world’s best speakers and bring them to Asia reducing the cost of participation for residents here. This is still not enough for many Asian residents. There are issues such as difficulty in obtaining a travel visa and the high cost of travel due to the foreign exchange rate are especially present for many Asian countries’ citizens.
This scholarship is awarded to someone who:
- Is an active WordPress project contributor.
- Has never attended any flagship WordCamps (Asia, US, or Europe) before.
- Requires financial assistance to attend.
- Is part of the underrepresented demography of open-source contributors.
- Is interested in bringing their experience to grow their local WordPress community and/or WordPress community in Asia.
If you can share your Contributor Story, it’ll help them to understand your background better!
The scholarship is provided for 2 individuals, and the requirements they need.
- An out-of-country attendee
- A local resident of Taiwan
However, this scholarship provides financial assistance for the recipient to attend WordCamp Asia 2024, including travel from the recipient’s home city, accommodation for the duration of the event, and a ticket to WordCamp Asia.
Therefore, the selection will be performed by a small panel consisting of WordCamp Central program managers.
So, if you’re interested, please fill up the application form and submit it by February 2, 2024. You will be informed by February 9, 2024.