Are you excited about the new Gutenberg update? We are too. Gutenberg 7.0 brings a wave of new enhancements and fixes to the plugin.
The newest version of Gutenberg editor, Gutenberg 7.0 was released yesterday and it comes with exciting new updates. This update is considered to be a crucial update as it includes many navigation block enhancements, new APIs, and more.
Gutenberg 7.0 update had more than 51 contributors (most to date) to help make the update better for everyone.
There’s a handful of exciting enhancements included in the Navigation Block. See the list below:
Navigation Enhancements in Gutenberg 7.0
- Highlight menu items without a defined URL.
- Prevent an error in Firefox when removing the block.
- Remove background color from the Navigation block and rely on the Group block.
- Remove the background shadow for the submenus dropdown.
- Rename the “Navigation Menu Item” block to “Link”.
- Remove unnecessary color attributes.
- Allow addition CSS classes.
- Drop the “menu” suffix from the block name.
- Escape special characters in the frontend.
- Remove from experimental features.
- Add style variations.
New APIs in Gutenberg 7.0
- Allow the internationalization of strings containing safe HTML
- Add a new Card component in WordPress/components.
- Add label support for the URLInput component.
- Support the isMatch option for the shortcode transforms.
Bug Fixes and other Enhancements
- Use gradient classnamesinstead of inline styles for the Cover block.
- Inserter: Add keyboard shortcut stylingto “/” in the default tip.
- Restore the caret positionproperly on undo.
- Add keywords to improve the discoverability of the Audio block.
- Show video preview on Cover blockinspector panel.
- Fix hidden nested imagesin the content column.
- Fix double border issuein the keyboard shortcuts modal.
- Fix off-centered publish button.
- Fix error when isRTL config is not providedin the block editor settings.
- Fix full width Table blockmobile regression.
- A11y: Add a screen reader text label for the Search block.
- Fix text patterns undoafter mouse move.
- Fix block drag and drop for the contributor role.
- Update the link when switching the image usedin the Image block.
- Fix php error triggered when gutenberg_register_packages_scriptsis run more than once.
- Fix special characters escaping for the post title.
- Fix BaseControl component labelwhen no id is passed.
- Preserve whitespacewhen converting blocks Preformatted and Paragraph blocks.
- Fix multiple paste issuescreating unnecessary empty spaces.
Not only these, but Gutenberg 7.0 also has an array of other enhancements as well. Check out the full changelog here. And if you have anything to add, share or ask, feel free to use the comments section below.
Reference: WordPress Core