The new update to Jetpack Updates series is here. Jetpack 6.2 was released on June 5, 2018, and included a few improvements and bug fixes. Therefore, Jetpack 6.2 is just another general maintenance release. However, it still carries some interesting changes and enhancements.
The previous version of Jetpack – Jetpack 6.1 was released on May 1, 2018, with several general maintenance items in it. Similarly, this time, the new version has also introduced various general maintenance items as well. Jetpack 6.1 has included support for AMP pages, changes in content options, improvements to cookies and consent widget and many more enhancements.
One of the interesting features introduced in 6.2 is the added support for AMP. The Jetpack features now work on Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP). AMP provides a way to create pages that load instantly for mobile users, and are managed like other pages on your website.
Also, Jetpack 6.2 prevents rendering of Jetpack features that would cause issues when rendering the AMP version of pages.
The newer version has excluded Custom Post Types like Portfolio and Testimonials in themes that support Content Options while switching between showing a post’s content or an excerpt via the Blog Display option in the customizer.
The widget introduced in 6.1.1 version has been updated in 6.2 to improve display options. There’s an added “top” option for the widget position; the existing bottom of the screen position is the default. Also, there are improvements regarding the compatibility and positioning of this widget with different themes.
FEW OTHER NOTABLE UPDATES
- Contact Form: Fixed scrolling and height for very large contact forms.
- Tiled Galleries and Image CDN: If the image CDN is active, Jetpack will now use it when a Tiled Gallery links to a media file.
- Related Posts: Jetpack now won’t attempt to load related posts for an unpublished post.
- Sharing: Fixed an issue that resulted in incorrect URLs for sharing on WhatsApp. The team has also resolved a problem with duplicate requests occurring to check if your Akismet installation is active and functional when using the Share By Email
- Shortcodes: Fixed the Facebook shortcode in wp-admin.
You can check out the changelog to know more about the full list of updates and changes in Jetpack 6.1. You can get in touch with the members of Jetpack if you have anything to ask about the new update or want to give feedback.