Gutenberg 15.4, the latest version of Gutenberg editor, is released and is available for download.
The latest release of the plugin is lighter on user-facing features than normal. And it focuses heavily on bug fixes, testing, and other much-needed improvements. There are some welcome additions as well such as turning paragraphs into columns, an improved Cover block, and new template descriptions in the site editor.
Color and layout support for Cover block
The Cover block now supports the text color design tool. It makes it easier for users and theme authors to customize the color for all inner blocks with a single setting. Also, it is easier to handle transforms from the Media & Text block.
Updated template descriptions
Template descriptions have received a major overhaul in the latest update. Almost all of them have been updated to better explain what each template does. This will make it easier for users to understand each template’s purpose when customizing it in the Site Editor.
Other Notable Highlights
textColumns property has been added as a “block supports” feature and is now in the style engine. It will allow users to split text-based blocks into columns. Developers can opt into this for their custom blocks, but no core blocks support the feature yet. There are open tickets for adding it to the Paragraph and Post Excerpt blocks in future updates.
Not only these, but Gutenberg 15.4 has also introduced several other enhancements. bug fixes, performance, code quality, and documentation.
So these are the first time contributors
The following PRs were merged by first time contributors:
- @abhi3315: Link Control – Add support for text only labels. (47930)
- @hbhalodia: Change higher order with-constraint-tabbing from .js to .tsx. (48162)
- @sboerrigter: Fix incorrect css property in editor-color-palette documentation. (48333)
- @shreyasikhar: Site Editor Sidebar: Add line-height for template/parts name and update width for edit button. (48160)
- @suvrodattamitu: Style Engine: Fix wrong property name letterSpacing to lineHeight. (48091)
- @tomdevisser: Remove copy for managing a block’s style variations. (48367)
Check out the full changelog here. And if you have anything to add, share or ask, feel free to use the comments section below.
Reference: WordPress Core