The new version of WooCommerce, WooCommerce 3.4 was released yesterday. WooCommerce 3.4 has been in development since the beginning of January and has had over 2140 commits from 80 contributors.
WooCommerce 3.4 is said to be a minor update. This version is compatible with sites running versions of WooCommerce greater than 3.0. The extensions and themes are compatible before upgrading and making backups for peace of mind.
With the new version, WooCommerce 3.4 has upgraded some of their major features.
What’s inside the new WooCommerce 3.4?
GDPR Features, Tweaks, and Settings
The following features require WordPress 4.9 to function.
- User data export, reassure, and anonymization tools.
- Settings for enabling automatic data cleanup or removal.
- New Customizer settings for checkout fields and policy notices on the Checkout page.
- Tweaks to logging to ensure personal data does not get logged.
WooCommerce has replaced GeoLite database to GeoLite2. This new release adds support and integrates WooCommerce with GeoLite2 to ensure geolocation to continue working correctly for the foreseeable future. The whole process is automatic and no further action is needed on the store owner’s part to keep geolocation working correctly.
The library that integrates with GeoLite2 requires a minimum PHP version of 5.4. As a necessary step WooCommerce will not support geolocation using GeoLite2 on PHP versions less than 5.4.
Features for Store Owners
Here are some major improvements that you may find useful while using the new version of WooCommerce, WooCommerce 3.4:
- A multisite dashboard widget that shows order information from across all sites.
- Wildcard email support for coupon restrictions. Using the wildcard character you can set up coupons restricted to groups of similar email addresses (.edu email accounts, corporate email accounts from a certain business, etc.).
- Users can now set their display name on the My Account page.
- Improvements to the admin product search, including the ability to search for multiple products in the same query.
Features for Store Builders and Developers
If you’re building stores for clients, or just developing on top of WooCommerce, here’s some new toys at your disposal:
- All the photo-swipe styles have been moved to their own CSS file to make them easy to dequeue if needed.
- You can declare a custom data sanitization callback in the settings API.
- Support for additional HTML5 input types for settings and checkout forms has also been added.
- Lots of new filters and actions to increase the customizability of WooCommerce.
WooCommerce 3.4 is a minor update and is compatible with sites running any version of WooCommerce greater than or equal to 3.0. Testing and backing up prior to upgrading is recommended just for safety.
Check out the full list of interesting features and enhancements in WooCommerce 3.4 here. And if you have anything to share with us, let us know through the comments section.