WordPress 4.8.1, which is a maintenance release, is now available for download. Since its release on June 8, WordPress 4.8 has been downloaded 13 million times already.
WordPress 4.8.1 contains a total of 29 maintenance fixes and enhancements. Among them, the most important ones are fixes to the rich Text widget and the introduction of the Custom HTML widget.
Additionally, the following maintenance fixes have been made:
- Customizer Panel Footer border missing
- Customizer: Menus: it is far too easy to mistakenly delete a menu because the “Delete Menu” link and the “Add Items” button are too close together
- Increase tinymce panel z-index
- Set `’filter’ => ‘content’` on starter content “business info” widget
- oEmbed: Update VideoPress oEmbed URL
- `WP_oEmbed_Controller::get_proxy_item()` should remove `_wpnonce` from cached `$args`
- oEmbed proxy fails to forward maxwidth and maxheight params
- WP-API JS Client: Settings is incorrectly registered as a collection
- media-views.js: Cannot read .length of undefined (this.controller.$uploaderToggler.length)
- Add filter to allow modifying response *after* embedded data is added
- REST API: PUT requests fail on Nginx servers when fancy permalinks aren’t enabled
- wp_get_object_terms() returns duplicate terms if more than one taxonomy is given in args
- TinyMCE: Images with link and caption look “broken” when selected
- Introduce widget dedicated for HTML code
- Facebook Video Works On Preview But Not On Theme
- New Text Widget – Switching Between Visual/Text Editor Strips Out Code
- Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when writing” setting
- TinyMCE editor in Text widget does not have RTL contents
- Updated text widget do not save text (when using paste)
- Widgets: Query param for `loop` added for non-hosted external videos
- Widgets: text widget and media widgets cannot be edited in accessibility mode
- Text widget does not show Title field or TinyMCE editor
- Text widget can raise JS error if customize-base is enqueued on widgets admin screen
- Text Widget – Wording – Legacy Mode 4.8.1 beta
- Theme styles for Text widget do not apply to Custom HTML widget
- Text widget: Rename legacy mode to visual mode and improve back-compat for widget_text filters
You can either download WordPress 4.8.1 from here or visit your website’s Dashboard → Updates and simply click “Update Now.”
Websites that support automatic background updates should already begin to update to WordPress 4.8.1.
Weston Ruter, from the WordPress Development Team also thanked everyone who contributed to the WordPress 4.8.1.
Even though this is only a maintenance release, we advise all of you to update your sites as soon as possible.