The third Beta is here for the upcoming major release, WordPress 5.9. WordPress 5.9 Beta 3 includes 14 fixes and enhancements to further smoothen your WordPress experience. These enhancements were made after the Beta 2 release.
Since the software is still in development mode, it’s best that you don’t run it on a production site. Consider setting up a test site just to play with the new version. To test WordPress 5.9, try the WordPress Beta Tester plugin (you’ll want “bleeding edge nightlies” and “Beta/RC Only”). Or you can download the beta here (zip).
Let’s now have a quick look at the highlights in WordPress 5.9 Beta 3.
Highlight in WordPress 5.9 Beta 3
- Editor: Add FSE infrastructure from Gutenberg plugin into Core (#54335).
- Formatting: Allow PDFs to be embedded as objects (#54261)
- Language switcher on the login screen (#43700)
- REST API: Add navigation areas REST API endpoint from Gutenberg plugin (#54393)
- Themes: Live Preview button bug (#54578)
WordPress 5.9 Release schedule date is on 25th January 2022. And to make the major release smooth and bug-free, the developers need your help. Therefore, we suggest you start testing right away!
If you think you’ve found a bug, you can post to the Alpha/Beta area in the support forums. Moreover, if you’re comfortable writing a reproducible bug report, file one on WordPress Trac, where you can also find a list of known bugs.