The much awaited WordPress 4.9.8 is now available as a Maintenance Release. The WordPress 4.9.8 Maintenance Release was issued by WordPress yesterday and it carries several updates including the “Try Gutenberg” Callout. The Maintenance Release package can be downloaded directly or updated from within your dashboard.
The WordPress 4.9.8 update is for all the previous versions of WordPress; it is, thus, mandatory that you update your WordPress websites right away.
WordPress 4.9.8 Maintenance Release has fixed 46 bugs, enhancements and blessed tasks, including the update to the Twenty Seventeen bundled theme and “Try Gutenberg” callout.
The “Try Gutenberg” callout finally rolled out with the 4.9.8 version. As we’ve been mentioning in our previous articles, the callout focuses on getting more eyes on the Gutenberg Editor, which will ship out in WordPress 5.0. However, the callout would not be visible to everyone. In WordPress 4.9.8, the callout will be shown to the following users:
- If Gutenberg is not installed or activated, the callout will be shown to Admin users on single sites, and Super Admin users on multi-sites.
- If Gutenberg is installed and activated, the callout will be shown to Contributor users and above.
- If the Classic Editor Plugin is installed and activated, the callout will be hidden for all users.
The update has also included 18 Privacy fixes focused on ensuring consistency and flexibility in the new personal data tools that were added in 4.9.6. Some of the privacy fixes include:
- The type of request being confirmed is now included in the subject line for all privacy confirmation emails.
- Improved consistency with site name being used for privacy emails in multisite.
- Pagination for Privacy request admin screens can now be adjusted.
- Increased the test coverage for several core privacy functions.
Check out the full list of changes in WordPress 4.9.8 Maintenance Release here.
If your site supports automatic background updates, then just sit back and relax, 4.9.8 is already being pushed out. If you’d rather not wait or have auto updates disabled, you can browse to Dashboard > Updates and click the Update Now button.
Update your sites right away!