WordPress 4.9.8 Beta 1 is here and available for testing! You can play with the new version on a testing site with the WordPress Beta Tester plugin. The WordPress 4.9.8 Beta 1 is also available for download.
The first beta of WordPress 4.9.8 release has fixed 21 bugs, included 9 enhancements and 2 blessed tasks in it. The release mainly aims at adding privacy enhancements in WordPress after the tremendous privacy work on WordPress 4.9.6.
The WordPress 4.9.8 Beta 1 version has also focused on adding the “Try Gutenberg” callout in order to get more eyes on the Gutenberg editor and try the new Gutenberg editing experience before the official release.
However, the new Try Gutenberg callout is still in progress and has not yet been included in the first beta version. According to Paul Biron’s post, the development team has planned to release a second beta version as soon as the Gutenberg callout project is ready. Also, after adding the callout, the team will be asking for specific testing regarding the callout.
Below are the bug fixes and enhancements included in WordPress 4.9.8 Beta 1 release.
Check out the full list of bug fixes on Trac.
- #44099– Add Request Type into Admin Email Subject for GDPR
- #44195– “Silence is golden” index.html generates output
- #44265– Add filter for email subject for erasure complete notification
- #44353– Replace `site_url( ‘wp-login.php’ )` in `wp_send_user_request()`
- #44379– GDPR filters should provide either $request or $request_id
- #44382– Filter the subject within _wp_privacy_send_request_confirmation_notification
- #44396– Inconsistent use of blogname and sitename in Privacy emails
- #44590– Remove “// WPCS:” comments
- #44025– Privacy: Pagination screen options for the requests list tables
- #44100– GDPR Privacy Page setting allows for Draft Pages
- #44181– The input field id username_or_email_to_export should be something else on remove_personal_data page
- #44373– Add a privacy setting to disable comment cookie consent
- #44321– REST API: Expose revision count and last revision ID on Post response
- #44287– REST API: Declare user capability to perform actions using JSON Hyper Schema `targetSchema`
- #44109– TwentySeventeen backend editor: level 2 bulleted lists nested under numbered lists show numbers instead of bullets
- #44141– Privacy: Don’t replace comment author URL and email with anything
- #44342– Commenter cookie consent message should not be displayed if the cookie action isn’t hooked
- #44104– Customize: Attempt to count uncountable value
- #44341– Replace _deprecated_function( ‘add_filter’ ) with apply_filters_deprecated()
- #43054– wp_is_stream fails with stream definition containing nonascii chars
LOGIN and REGISTRATION
- #44052– Missing parameter type for `login_header()`
- #43751– REST API: Attachments controller should respect “Max upload file size” and “Site upload space” in multisite
- #44532– Extreme memory leak related to wp_is_stream in wp-includes/functions.php in WordPress 4.9.7
- #43874– REST API: Only render fields specific to request when _fields= is used
- #42691– WP_Term_Query get_terms generates invalid SQL queries
- #44096– REST API: Taxonomy and term endpoints should use correct permission checks
- #44330– TinyMCE: do not force-load external TinyMCE plugins
A full list of enhancements in 4.9.8 beta can be found on Trac.
POSTS, POST TYPES
- #36085– Add action hook to get_inline_data()
A full list of blessed tasks in 4.9.8 beta can be found on Trac.
- #44339– Emoji: Update Twemoji to 11.0
- #44134– Update to TinyMCE 4.7.13
The Release Candidate has been scheduled for July 24, 2018, and the official WordPress 4.9.8 release has been scheduled for July 31, 2018.
The software is still in its development phase so the WordPress Development Team doesn’t recommend using it on a production website. If you find any bugs, you can report it to the Alpha/Beta area of the support forum.
We will keep you posted on any news related to WordPress 4.9.8. Have fun testing the WordPress 4.9.8 Beta 1!